nonnas nonsense

finally feeling fine (mostly) friday

Posted by nonnasnonsense on September 9, 2009

here it goes:

had surgery on monday the 31st. i did in fact stay up all night, rather than sleep a little and get up at 3:30am (btw: NOT recomended). the surgery went great. the recovery room sucked, because they talked me out of doing the epidural if they only did the laparoscopic surgery. i was in more pain and stayed in there longer, than this poor woman who had a double mastectomy! i have decided that between the fibromyalgia (which increases your nerve receptors or some such) and the EDS (which makes my muscles have to work a lot more than they should), i just don’t respond normally to what should have been an “easy surgery”.

so, after several shots of different pain meds, they finally got enough drugs in me to inform me that i would be going home that day.  they sent me to another holding room. now, A) i wanted to stay overnight because i know how much pain i would be in and it’s much easier to just push that morphine button than trying to ride home 2 hours away and popping pills all night. B)holding room = gurney. which SUCKS! i wanted a bed so bad! after laying on the gurney for upteen hours before, during, and after the surgery my back and hips were killing me. C) i hate the whole send you home before you know for sure that your wounds are going to heal correctly, etc..

well, i guess they have figured out how to get someone like me to leave. they wouldn’t let me take a wheelchair and go outside to smoke. it was going on about 11 hrs without a smoke and i was dying for one. they said that i could go have a smoke if i am leaving, so all of a sudden i was really ready to leave! lol the ride home was not fun. my last dose of pain meds had started wearing off and we had to go over to the V.A. to get my ‘scripts filled. THANK GOODNESS the v.a. nurse took pity on me and just gave my scripts to the doc so i didn’t have to wait through the whole ER process. i took my nausea med, waited a while and took a pain pill. we got about 1 or 2 miles from the hospital and  i threw up (good thing i took my puke tub with me when i checked out). that brought on a kind of mild panic attack cuz i was afraid of what it would do to my stomach and cuz my arms and legs were tingling like when you hyper ventilate. i started breathing in a paper bag, but it didn’t stop so i freaked and tried calling my mom (she was a nurse). she didn’t answer so i called her twin (aunt faye who was also a nurse) and she talked me down from my panic attack.

alright. we get home finally and i can’t go to sleep! i’ve been up since 11am on sunday and it was 11pm on monday before i could get to sleep. i don’t know why. i was exhausted, my eyes hurt like hell from something they put in them (i swear it was sand) during the surgery. i finally get to sleep, wake up every 4 hours or so for meds, and then get up around 8am on tuesday. i was sooo freaking restless tuesday that i hardly never sat still. i don’t know what was wrong with me (again) but it seemed like it i was only comfortable if i was walking instead of sitting. i decided to take a shower and wash my hair thinking that might calm me down some.

…yadda, yadda, yadda…(don’t really remember much of tuesday eve/night except taking pills earlier and earlier)

wednesday morning i’m up early even though i wanted to sleep in. i’m taking my pain pills every 3 hours now (which i found out accidentally was the correct dosage. i had assumed they were every 4-6 hrs like most pain pills and i had been trying to stretch it to 5 hours! lol) and the pain is not going down at all. i decided i needed to write down when and what i was taking, because i was afraid that i was taking so much that i would forget and take too much. the pain was increasing and it should not have been that bad at that point. i tried doubling my pain pills. no effect to the pain. went to the bathroom and noticed that the inside of my shirt had something on it. my incision was oozing something that didn’t look very good. ok, call the v.a. clinic in my town. they don’t want to touch me. they want me to call the surgeon. i call her office. her nurse starts to tell me that i can come in the next day and they can check it. i told her that there was no way i could drive 2 hrs  feeling the way i did, nor could i wait another day in this pain. i read off the meds i had taken since last night and didn’t even get through half of them when she told me to go to my local ER.

off to River Park (hospital that kills people, that you only go to if you’re dying so they can stabilize you and send you to a real hospital) we go. they check me in and the nurse looks at my incision. first thing she says is “oh, yeah. that’s not right”. it’s amazing how many conflicting emotions you can have at the same time. relief-cuz i know there’s actually something wrong and i’m not just being a cry baby. anger-cuz they should have let me stay in the hospital long enough to make sure this wouldn’t happen. scared-because there is now something ELSE wrong with me and all i can think of is staph infections and flesh-eating bacteria lol

they gave me an i.v., gave me some morphine which totally didn’t work. it seemed like it made all of my minor pains from the 3 other small incisions go away which amplified the infected one to 10x worse pain. don’t ask me how. i just know it did. so i begged for something else and they gave me a shot of toradol. that stuff is my new best friend. after only about 5 minutes or so i was feeling much better. then they took x-rays. i guess to make sure they didn’t leave something inside of me 🙂 they didn’t see anything abnormal, but they informed me my bowels were quite full. NO SHIT (pun intended) i was backed up 4 days before the surgery and after all the pain meds i was stillll backed up. half the time i didn’t know if it was my surgery or just my stomach hurting.

friday off we (poor hubby/chauffeur & me) go back to nashville to be seen by yet another dr. that i haven’t ever met. my surgeon is on vacation this week. so he looks at my nasty oozing wound and tells me he is more concerned with the not going poop for 9 long-painful-days. he pokes around on my stomach and says that he doesn’t feel any abscesses or such. tells me to violate myself with an enema and sends me on my way.

get home. violate myself. NOTHING HAPPENS!! also, as i’m changing my bandage i happen to push down on this very hard area right above the incision. now, i mentioned this area to the dr. earlier, but he said it was fine. well, low and behold, when you press that area, more stuff comes out!! hmmm, to me that seems like one of those abscesses he was checking to make sure i didn’t have. at this point i just give up. i tell hubby that i don’t give a crap any more i can either rot away from the inside or blow up. i’m not going to another dr. about this crap. i’m not trying to call another dr. that’s it! i’m done.

saturday comes and i was just going to lay in bed all day and wallow in my self-pity. nope. my tummy starts cramping. off to the “loo” i go. yeah! splash down lol. things started getting better after that. i think my incision is pretty much healed up. just a little bit of oozing going on. hard place is getting smaller (still there a little bit, which worries me some, but i’m ignoring that voice). oh! and i think i have thrush from the antibiotics. never had it before. never want it again. just about everything i eat hurts! oh and smoking? FORGET IT! it burns like a, a, something that burns really bad. lol i totally lost a good comparison.

to make long story just a little bit longer…hopefully from now on i will only be blogging about funny, happy things and can leave my pathetic, pitiful, health crap off of here. i can always torture my family with that 🙂


10 Responses to “finally feeling fine (mostly) friday”

  1. Hi nonna long time not comment! man, what kind of hospitals do you have down there? They should have totally cleaned up the oozing…you shouldn’t ooze like that. Glad you are on the mend…and can’t wait to read more funny stuff! Happy Friday!

    hey stranger!! glad to see you again. the sad thing is that the surgery was done at Vanderbilt, which is supposed to be one of the best hospitals around. sorry i haven’t been by in forever, but don’t feel neglected. i haven’t been reading anybody’s blogs, not even my best friend’s! lol and i’m the one who got her started on blogging. hopefully, something funny will happen soon 🙂

  2. momma said

    You do a great job remembering everything. The only thing you left was how heughted your patience was and how emotional you were. I’m jst glad it is over and I know if you have any more sugeries you will havr an epidural. Love momma

    ok, mom. i usually just fix your typos, but i have no idea what you meant to say when you typed “heughted” lol but, yes, i was a royal, grouchy, capitol B bitch right after surgery. i blame it on the pain and the meds. 🙂

  3. seashore said

    Just need to say that I am so glad you got to keep all your parts! Can’t wait to hear the happy!

    i’m glad too! hubby complains about all the crap i carry with me now, could you imagine if i had to carry a poop bag too?!! lol

  4. Rock Chef said

    Glad to hear that things are mending at last. I am amazed that you were clogged up like that. I know our system sucks, but over here they like to know that you are empty before they start doing stuff to you.

    funny, that the 1st attempt to have the surgery done required me to be empty, but the 2nd go-round it didn’t matter. also, 1st attempt i was given surg. prep. cloths to scrub my tummy with, but not the 2nd time. hmm, wonder if that would have prevented my infection??

    Your hospital that kills people? Sounds like my local one, but they don’t send you on to somewhere else 😦

    well, luckily, i am aware of my hospital’s sucky-ness so i make sure to be sent somewhere else lol

  5. OhCaptain said

    Keeping parts is cool! As Seashore said, can’t wait to hear the happy story 😉

    very cool! think i will be posting some happiness very soon 😉

  6. Bad Momma said

    Hope by now you are in much better shape. My thoughts are with you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

    i’m healed! yeah!! now, i have no excuse for not blogging 😉 thanks for all the good wishes and support, everybody!

  7. Hoping that you are getting better every day. I usually like to wait a while to see how people are doing– that way you feel that you are not forgotten.

    thank you! that is very sweet. i was feeling a little forgotten, but i guess that’s what you get when you don’t post for a month or so lol. i’m doing much better now. i’m all healed up and all systems are a go 🙂

  8. Rock Chef said

    Good to see that you are doing OK!

    Not forgotten!


  9. Mrs4444 said

    Jeez, I hope you’ve healed up nicely after all this hell you went through!

    • nonnasnonsense said

      eventually i did 🙂 will probably have a bigger scar than it would have been originally, but i don’t have the bod to be showing my belly so no worries there 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: